Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The cake doctor is in....

Dr. Pepper and Movie Theatre Popcorn cakes
Happy Birthday Juls!

Julia's extreme passion for Dr. Pepper and movie theatre popcorn should have made for an easy birthday cake design decision but I was really torn at the thought of giving her an ipad of her very own to eat.  In the end, the whole family voted that it had to 'be a Pepper!'.
  
After doing my research, I chose America's favorite Duncan Hines Devil's Food cake mix that I 'doctored' with an extra egg yolk, real butter, and Dr. Pepper instead of water.  The popcorn cake was also a doctored Duncan Hines Butter Golden cake mix.  In keeping with the theme, I couldn't stop at the cake; I added real Philadelphia cream cheese to the store bought frosting.  Still lickin' my fingers!

Both cakes were exceptionally moist and tender, melt in your mouth yum; but I should have used a more stable frosting underneath the Dr. Pepper fondant.  She got a little saggy when it warmed up.  The logo was a challenge, but the hardest part was waiting for the marshmallowy popcorn to cool so I could add the final touch to the movie theatre bucket.  Mmmmaarrshmallllows...



Dr. and Mrs. Pepper...no, she's not pregnant...just a little too much cake lately!

I know, I totally copied you Robin!  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment