Friday, February 18, 2011

Super Mario Cake

Andrew's Super Mario birthday cake
(question box is suspended by the magic of Kimi) 
This cake was not quite finished when Andrew came over for his birthday party so all the kids had a chance to add their own mushrooms, turtles, and goomba characters.  The first thing Andrew said was "Where's Bowser?"  So my talented friend Robin saved the party by completing the question block for me (made of cake covered in fondant) and a mushroom or two while Kimi and I scrambled to comply with the birthday boy's request.

Andrew kept coming over to the counter to look at HIS cake!
 There's no question...I think he liked it! 

Mario, Luigi, and Yoshi are toy figures, this goomba is modeling chocolate, and the rest were fondant.  My toddler 'helped' by helping himself to the painstakingly cut out blue border (you can see the remaining border in the picture above, bottom right) and a couple other characters to make himself a squished up fondant 'shamburger'.  The bottom tier is a Betty Crocker funfetti mix with sour cream added and a yummy white chocolate pudding filling.  The upper tier was made sugar free for Andrew's Grandparents.  I owe them many thanks for jumping in to help finish supper so I could focus on the cake chaos with the kids!  Happy Birthday Andrew!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment