Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Despicable Cake

Happy Late Birthday Danilyn!  Too bad you are too late to eat any...mmmmm...sorry!
For my second Wilton cake decorating class, we were allowed to choose our own pattern for the top so I chose the 'Despicable Me' minion in honor of my niece Danilyn who asked me to make her one for a late birthday cake. This cake was the most despicable assignment I have ever had in a class!  If you have seen my favorite blog, Cake Wrecks, you will see many examples of this particular dimensional technique gone wrong.  There really is no way to use the number 12 tip and not have it look disgusting.  

The inside was devil's food chocolate cake with Kozy Shack creamy chocolate pudding for the filling.  I was told to make my frosting using a decorating buttercream recipe especially for this class.  However, I couldn't bring myself to use trans fatty shortening so I used my healthier coconut oil instead.  It smelled and tasted lovely but the coconut oil is pickier about temperature so by the time we were decorating, the little room we were crammed in had warmed up so my frosting was a little gooey-er than it was supposed to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment